DESIGN, ART, GADGETS, FASHION, AND SAFEWAY

SUBSCRIBE VIA BLOGLOVIN bloglovin, IPAD, OR RSS

Friday, February 06, 2009

Ubuntu Review Goes Haywire, Leaves Me Broken Inside

| |

If there's one thing great about Ubuntu Linux, it's the fact that it's free and encouraged to stay that way. There's also their whole approach to Linux, supposedly "dumbing it down" with a friendlier user-interface for those who have never touched the OS ever in their life.

After holding off for so long, I decided to take a sip of the soda just to see how it made me feel deep down inside.

I found the user-interface indeed impressive, with quick streamlined installation, a sleek Gnome skin to match everything, and the majority of my drivers already pre-installed. I had to hunt a bit for my Soundblaster Live! drivers, but after that I was up and running with my internet like it was nobody's business.

In a nutshell, that's probably the best thing about it. Internet access made easy. You basically need an administrative password to change anything that would effect the end-user so in a sense, it keeps anybody who doesn't know what they're doing from ever tainting the OS with useless crapware. It's a beautiful approach to user stupidity, really.

However, as far as intuitiveness, Ubuntu fails on all fronts. Not only does the system make it nearly impossible for normal user to figure out how to install a simple program, but icon placement, categorical organization, and folder handling are dreadful, if not the worse I have ever seen in a package meant for mainstream users.

That said, it wasn't all bad. I could easily browse the internet, write a paper, and talk on AIM with no hiccups at all. Unfortunately, with abominable user-interface and high learning curve for simple things such as installation, it's hard to recommend this to anyone looking for a "fun" experience. It's free, but sometimes it's free for a good reason. 7.6/10.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts


Archives