DESIGN, ART, GADGETS, FASHION, AND SAFEWAY

SUBSCRIBE VIA BLOGLOVIN bloglovin, IPAD, OR RSS

Monday, November 09, 2009

Helvetica Review

| |

Something as obscure as font typefaces couldn't possibly be turned into a movie, can it? Well, it can and at the same, "Holy hell, no flippin' way I'd watch anything like that." I'm a bit in the middle. I was driven by graphic design in the late 90's, but abandoned my love for typeface by the time college came around. It wasn't until recently when IKEA decided to change their fonts on their catalogs to Futura or something that I realized how important typefaces are to people in their everyday lives. And so, I decided to check out Helvetica - a movie dedicated to the most ubiquitous font in my lifetime thus far. The thing is - I found it rather dry. Not only was the subject matter quite difficult to spin into a catchy movie to begin with, but because the exploration of Helvetica simply can't be represented with such hazy generalizations and dull representations in the way it's represented in this movie. A good try, but no cigar. 7.2/10.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts


Archives